Better Parking System for Horsham’s Central Activity District
At the Council meeting held on 22 August 2022, Council approved the contract for the supply and installation and 5-year maintenance contract for the replacement of the parking meter system in Horsham’s CBD.
The cost of the supply and installation of 60 new parking meters by contractor Peritus is $541,859. This is being funded from the CBD Reserve.
The additional cost of a 5 year contract for background software licences, ongoing integration with Council’s corporate software system and maintenance is $193,500 or $38,700 per year (plus annual CPI increases). There is an allowance for this in the annual operations budget.
In March 2023, Horsham Rural City Council will be rolling out a new parking experience for central Horsham.
Completed traffic engineering studies have recommended that paid parking is effective and efficient in managing priority parking spaces within the CBD to enable movement of shoppers, ultimately increasing foot traffic to our local businesses
Sixty modern parking meters are currently being installed to replace 361 old meters, some of which date back to the 1960s. The old meters have reached the end of their serviceable life, with repair parts unavailable.
The upgrade of meters will complement Council’s Parking Management Plan (also to be implemented in February/March 2023) which includes:
- Consolidating one-hour (1P) car parks into two-hour parking. This will allow more flexibility while still encouraging movement of shoppers throughout the central activity district
- Consolidating short-term parking (10, 15, 20 minutes) into a single 30-minute short term parking time frame.
Features of the new parking meters
- Next generation technology
- Solar powered and paperless
- Can be operated by coin, card tap or new phone app (available to download soon – watch this page for details)
- You can pay for your parking via the phone app without needing to go to the meter and the charge will be based on the length of time you stay in a parking bay
- When using coin or card tap at the meter, you will pay for a set time in advance (as you currently do)
- You will be need to input their car number plate into the meter or the phone app. There will be no paper tickets required for the dash board of your car
Parking meter fees
The fee structure for the parking meters is:
$1.50 per hour, which can be paid in $0.10 cent (9 minute) increments, to a maximum of $3.00 (2 hours)
If you have questions about the parking meter roll-out, please contact Customer Service on 53829777.